1 (14-16 pound) whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil OR nonstick spray
Black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, chopped
16 ounces jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Wash hands. Remove giblets and neck; reserve for stock.
2. Place turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack (sprayed with nonstick spray) in shallow pan with approximately 2-inch sides.
3. Coat the outside of the turkey with oil or nonstick spray.
4. Season inside and outside of turkey with pepper.
5. Secure drumsticks together with band of skin or hoc-loc clamp. Or, tie together with cotton string. If desired, twist wing tips behind the back.
6. Cover turkey loosely with foil or lid. Wash hands. Roast turkey in preheated 325 degree F oven for 2-1/2 hours.
7. In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very soft (if onions begin to brown, lower heat).
8. Stir in cranberry sauce and sugar: bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Remove foil and pour glaze over bird. Roast 1-1/4 hours more or until the thermometer registers 180 degree F in the thigh and 170 degree F in the breast.
10. Remove turkey from oven. Allow turkey to rest, covered for 20 minutes.
11. Transfer turkey to serving platter and, if desired, garnish with red grapes, pears and celery leaves.